To celebrate May Day, we made a bee craft and practiced our use of glue sticks. Without bees, there would not be flowers. They are so important in cross pollination and reproduction of flowers.
Critical Skills to learn before going to Kindergarten.
Gluing is a critical skill preschoolers should learn before going to elementary school. Some other skills according to Education.com included but not limited to:
2. Letter Recognition
3. Beginning Sounds
4. Number Recognition and Counting
5. Shapes and Colors
6. Fine Motor Skills (like holding a pencil)
8. Reading Readiness
9. Attention and Following Directions
10. Social Skills
A great tool that Education.com refers to a lot is Play Doh because it develops fine motor skills and is a safe object to practice cutting.
Once the bee was assembled, my kiddos ran around the room pretending to be bees. They built a hive aka fort. After resting in the hive, they ran from toy to toy collecting pollen.
I precut all the shapes so they just had to assemble the paper with glue.
- Yellow paper for the body
- Black paper cut into strips, triangles, mini rainbows for the mouth and antennas
- Parchment, tracing or velum paper for the wing
- Glue sticks