Each Saturday the park has a program available to the campers and day use visitors. Last weekend we had the opportunity to meet Princess a Turkey Vulture that was saved by a hunter in the Shelton area and given to the West Sound Wildlife Shelter on Bainbridge Island. Kylee and Bart, representatives from the shelter and animal caregivers, were very knowledgeable and you can tell they truly care about the animals.
Kylee explained that Princess is a permanent resident at the shelter because her left wing is broken. The shelter received Princess when she was about 1 year old because her head was still a shade of blue like most baby vultures.
Kylee asked the audience, “what do you think Princess weighs?” There were lots of guesses in the 20-50 pounds ranges but…
Did you know? Bird have hollow bones.
Thus Princess only weighs 7 pounds.
Other fun facts:
- Most birds don’t have a sense of smell except vultures.
- When a group of vultures fly in a circle, it is called a kettle.
- Vultures are flat foots because they spend a lot of time on the ground.
- As a self defense, vultures throw up on their attackers.
- Vultures stomach acid is as toxic as battery acid thus killing most bacteria and germs they eat.